Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Revising the Craft: ‘On Writing’

First off, I'm starting with the basics. I haven't written a single word on the page of the prologue or first chapter. I haven't even begun to map the world or the characters that will inhabit it. I'm beginning the challenge by reintroducing myself to the processes of writing and planning.

I've been rereading Stephen King's On Writing today. It's an excellent book for anybody who wants information about writing. I think it can safely be assumed that, due to King's successful career, that he knows what he is talking about.

The chapter I have read is one entitled "Toolbox". It gives an excellent analogy of the tools that a writer must use in all of his or her writing. It discusses vocabulary, grammar and paragraphing; the basic building blocks and tools needed for any kind of writing. It does not go in depth about using correct grammar, but it does give guidelines about some rules that should not be broken, and some that can be bent.

If you do buy the book, which I recommend you do, then it should be known that it is not just a step-by-step guide to writing. The first half is an autobiography, where King explains how he became a full-time writer. This is an excellent read in itself, and provides an interesting insight into an extraordinarily talented person. The style of his writing in the actual "guide" is easy to access, but still contains that authority that newcomers might need.

I shall continue to reread the rest of this book, and report back on anything that I find has helped me think about and improve my skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment