Monday, February 2, 2009

A Beginning

I came up with the idea to write both a novel and a blog around the creation of said novel only today. This is both for my benefit, and for your own. Hopefully, keeping a regular record of the way that I work will give a useful insight into the process of writing, helping improve my techniques and habits as well as your own.

As of yet, I have only the general concept of the novel, with a very brief view of the way I want events to happen. I have a sketch of the major characters and settings. It all needs much more work in refining and adding detail before I can even start writing my first draft.

Having read Stephen King's On Writing, I have taken his advice of Plot = Character + Dilemma. Both the main character and dilemma are in the conceptual stage, but hopefully they will come to life in the next couple of weeks.

This is my first attempt at properly writing a novel. I have tried in the past, but have never really gotten further than a prologue and first chapter. This blog will provide me with extra incentive to write as I will need to work on and write the novel in order to update this blog. Perhaps if I get some interest from other people then I will have the support and even further incentive to continue to write.

This blog will not give too many details about the exact characters or plot, since I would prefer to keep my idea as my own. This blog is purely to record the processes and problems involved in the great task of writing a fully-fledged novel.

I hope to update this blog regularly, if not daily then at least weekly. After each session spent writing I will make sure to record what I have done. I hope that you will enjoy reading it, and that it may be useful to anybody interested in the processes of creative writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment